International Federation of Digital Seismograph Networks

Thread: draft for minutes of WG-1 meeting

None
Started: 2013-07-31 19:10:42
Last activity: 2013-08-07 00:28:35
Seiji Tsuboi
2013-07-31 19:10:42
Members of FDSN WG I on stations

Some of you have received this email because you have attended the FDSN WG-1 meeting in Goteborg. I assume that you agree to be included this mailing-list but if you do not, please let me know.
Attached please find a draft for minutes of WG-1 meeting on July 22 in Goteborg. Please check the file and let me know if there are any changes to be made on this draft.

I still welcome the updates for FDSN station inventory. Please send me the updated inventory in Excel spread sheet.

We have agreed that we will increase the number of FDSN backbone stations. Please send a proposal for new backbone stations with station list to this mailing-list. If there will be no objection to the proposals, we will include these proposed stations in the inventory as backbone stations.

Thank you very much.
Seiji Tsuboi

• Dear Seiji,

As we discussed at the FDSN WG1 meeting, I would like to propose more FDSN backbone stations from the GSN. I have included the Inventory spreadsheet with an additional column (column E) which denotes the status of the station as a backbone station. We had the discussion at the WG-1 meeting that the asterisk next to the station ID is difficult to parse. I've taken a stab at creating a backbone column. In this, I've marked those stations previously identified with an asterisk with the symbol "Y" as being accepted backbone stations. Please note that several of these stations are now closed (marked with a "C") and several stations are duplicated (marked with a "D"). The current totals for these stations are as follows:

Current existing backbone stations: 168
    Closed backbone stations: 29
    Duplicate listings: 62 (result of marking the station multiple times to represent different instrumentation epochs).

I've marked those stations I would propose as new backbone stations from the GSN with a "PBB" label in that column (Proposed BackBone). Currently, there are ~130 existing core stations in the GSN, not including affiliated stations. Of these, 24 or not included in the FDSN backbone and I proposed that these be added. I've added another worksheet titled "Proposed Backbone - GSN" that describes the stations I put forward for your consideration. The additions to the FDSN backbone were to consider geographic distribution, availability of data, and data quality. All the proposed stations are from the existing GSN which is, by definition, globally distributed. Most of the proposed additions to the backbone are in very remote areas, providing vital geographic coverage. In a few cases (stations in the US), these stations are in the East-Central US which is more sparsely covered than the Western US and all are STS-1 - high quality stations. All data are available in real time, and are regularly reviewed for quality as a part of the GSN quality assurance system and through metrics calculations made at the IRIS DMC. All data are freely and openly available in real time, including metadata and quality metrics.

If accepted, this would bring the existing FDSN Backbone to 192.

Thank you for your consideration and please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Kent

---
    Kent Anderson
    Program Manager - Global Seismographic Network
    Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology - IRIS
    (505) 228 3082

On Jul 30, 2013, at 9:10 PM, Seiji Tsuboi wrote:

Members of FDSN WG I on stations

Some of you have received this email because you have attended the FDSN WG-1 meeting in Goteborg. I assume that you agree to be included this mailing-list but if you do not, please let me know.
    Attached please find a draft for minutes of WG-1 meeting on July 22 in Goteborg. Please check the file and let me know if there are any changes to be made on this draft.

I still welcome the updates for FDSN station inventory. Please send me the updated inventory in Excel spread sheet.

We have agreed that we will increase the number of FDSN backbone stations. Please send a proposal for new backbone stations with station list to this mailing-list. If there will be no objection to the proposals, we will include these proposed stations in the inventory as backbone stations.

Thank you very much.
    Seiji Tsuboi
    <minutes_WG1_July22_2013.docx>_______________________________________________
    fdsn-wg1-stations mailing list
    fdsn-wg1-stations<at>iris.washington.edu
    http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/fdsn-wg1-stations

• Dear Members of FDSN WG-I,

I have attached an Excel spread sheet, which I have added some entries for
      NETWORK PROGRAM ACRONYMS upon request. This spread sheet also includes a
      list of proposed backbone stations sent by Kent Anderson. Please consider
      the list and let us know if these additional backbone stations are OK. If
      there will be no objections, these stations will be accepted as backbone
      stations and designated in the inventory. I suppose that the final decision
      should be made during the next general assembly of FDSN in 2015, though. I
      also will welcome all the members to propose additional backbone stations.
      Please send the proposals to the mailing-list.

Best regards,
      Seiji Tsuboi

• Dear Seiji,
        Hereafter is a list of the 9 GEOSCOPE stations that I propose to include in
        the backbone FDSN station list (I used the same acronym as Kent: PBB for
        proposed backbone).
        Several of these stations used to be in the FDSN backbone list but as we
        moved them to a quieter site, their name was changed and there are no
        longer in the list.
        All the GEOSCOPE stations in this list meet the FDSN quality requirement
        for their location and for the low noise level
        as can be checked on the web site (geoscope.ipgp.fr -> station->station
        list -> select a station -> seismic noise and the data are freely
        accessible in real time.

Best regards
        Eleonore Stutzmann

--
        Eleonore STUTZMANN
        Professor
        Director of the GEOSCOPE observatory
        Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris
        1 rue Jussieu, 75005 Paris, France
        Tel 33 1 83 95 74 80
        Mail: stutz<at>ipgp.fr
        http://www.ipgp.fr/~stutz

• dear Seiji,

attached is the spread sheet update for OGS stations in Italy.

Modifications are in red on yellow.

I added stations CLUD, DRE, FUSE and PRED (with no line numbers)

Stations CLUD and PRED are proposed FDSN backbone stations (*PBB*): they
        are very quite in mine caves.

Station PRED is equipped with a 26bit Quanterra Q330HR
        digitizer/acquisition system.

Station VINO at line 867 IS NOT MEDNET and it is duplicated at line 875:
        line 867 should be deleted.

many thanks and best regards,
        Damiano Pesaresi

Il 05/08/2013 9.32, Seiji Tsuboi ha scritto:
        Dear Members of FDSN WG-I,

I have attached an Excel spread sheet, which I have added some entries for
        NETWORK PROGRAM ACRONYMS upon request. This spread sheet also includes a
        list of proposed backbone stations sent by Kent Anderson. Please consider
        the list and let us know if these additional backbone stations are OK. If
        there will be no objections, these stations will be accepted as backbone
        stations and designated in the inventory. I suppose that the final decision
        should be made during the next general assembly of FDSN in 2015, though. I
        also will welcome all the members to propose additional backbone stations.
        Please send the proposals to the mailing-list.

Best regards,
        Seiji Tsuboi