International Federation of Digital Seismograph Networks

Thread: Questions relating to voting for membership

None
Started: 2020-11-13 13:47:00
Last activity: 2020-11-13 13:47:00
Michelle Grobbelaar
2020-11-13 13:47:00
Dear All

After the last message requesting members to vote for the University of Beira Interior, in Portugal, there were a number of questions about whether this is a bit premature and if we should rather wait until data is being transferred.

So I referred to the Terms of Reference and found the following text:

In the introduction, it states:
"The federation is open to all organisations committed to the deployment of broad-band seismographs and organisations involved in management of data from digital seismograph networks, willing to contribute to the establishment of an optimum global system with open and timely data exchange."

In the section entitled "I. Goals" it states:
"In view of the above and to take advantage of existing and developing global and regional networks the “International Federation of Digital Seismograph Networks (FDSN)” provides a forum for....."

And in the section entitled "III. Membership and Organization", it states:
"Membership in the FDSN is open to national and international organisations committed to both the development and operation of the broad-band digital networks as well as organisations involved in management of data from digital seismograph networks consistent with the goals of the Federation".

Thus, I am not sure how we should proceed.
We could view the application as a "developing network" as stated above. And the organisation is committed to its development, and to sending the data once it is flowing, and thus they can become members.

Please could you let me know if we should still vote for their membership, or rather advise them to reapply once the data is flowing.

Thank you very much
kind regards
michelle