International Federation of Digital Seismograph Networks

Thread: FDSN event services question

None
Started: 2013-02-08 17:17:56
Last activity: 2013-02-08 18:03:15
Tim Ahern
2013-02-08 17:17:56
Hello members of FDSN WG III

As chair of WGIII, I am reporting an inconsistency in the FDSN web service specification document. One of the parameters for the the fdsnws-event service is listed as "preferredonly" and later as "includeallorigins". The intention during drafting of the document was to replace the former with the latter, and this last entry was missed. The "includeallorigins" parameter is more obviously clear as to function and matches other parameters (e.g. "includeallmagnitude" and "includearrivals").

As it stands now the specification is internally inconsistent, some fix is required to rectify that.

With permission, the IRIS DMC would be happy to edit the current specification document, completing the replacement originally intended. I do not think this is a substantive change, only one that improves clarity.

Please respond by February 22, 2013. If we hear no objections we will make the suggested change at that time.

Cheers

Tim Ahern

Director of Data Services
IRIS

IRIS DMC
1408 NE 45th Street #201
Seattle, WA 98105

(206)547-0393 x118
(206) 547-1093 FAX

• Doug Neuhauser
    2013-02-08 17:33:54
    Fine with me.
    - Doug N

On 02/08/13 09:17, Tim Ahern wrote:

As chair of WGIII, I am reporting an inconsistency in the FDSN web service specification document. One of the parameters for the the fdsnws-event service is listed as "preferredonly" and later as "includeallorigins". The intention during drafting of the document was to replace the former with the latter, and this last entry was missed. The "includeallorigins" parameter is more obviously clear as to function and matches other parameters (e.g. "includeallmagnitude" and "includearrivals").

As it stands now the specification is internally inconsistent, some fix is required to rectify that.

With permission, the IRIS DMC would be happy to edit the current specification document, completing the replacement originally intended. I do not think this is a substantive change, only one that improves clarity.

Please respond by February 22, 2013. If we hear no objections we will make the suggested change at that time.

Cheers

Tim Ahern

IRIS

IRIS DMC
    1408 NE 45th Street #201
    Seattle, WA 98105

(206)547-0393 x118
    (206) 547-1093 FAX

--
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doug Neuhauser University of California, Berkeley
    doug<at>seismo.berkeley.edu Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
    Office: 510-642-0931 215 McCone Hall # 4760
    Fax: 510-643-5811 Berkeley, CA 94720-4760
    Remote: 530-752-5615 (Wed,Fri)

• Rick Benson
    2013-02-08 17:45:13
    This is an important clarification, I approve the change.

On Feb 8, 2013, at 9:17 AM, Tim Ahern <tim<at>iris.washington.edu> wrote:

Cheers

Tim Ahern

IRIS

IRIS DMC
    1408 NE 45th Street #201
    Seattle, WA 98105

(206)547-0393 x118
    (206) 547-1093 FAX

================
    Rick Benson
    Director of Data Management
    IRIS DMC
    (206)547-0393 ext. 119(office)
    rick<at>iris.washington.edu

• Stephane Zuzlewski
    2013-02-08 18:03:15

Sounds good to me.

Stephane

On 2/8/13 9:17 AM, Tim Ahern wrote:

Cheers

Tim Ahern

IRIS

IRIS DMC
    1408 NE 45th Street #201
    Seattle, WA 98105

(206)547-0393 x118
    (206) 547-1093 FAX

--
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stephane Zuzlewski University of California, Berkeley