International Federation of Digital Seismograph Networks

Thread: add DOI to net, station, channel

None
Started: July 20, 2015, 11:52 a.m.
Last activity: July 20, 2015, 11:52 a.m.
Philip Crotwell
July 20, 2015, 11:52 a.m.
...new subject line to keep separate proposals separate...

Hi

Seems like a good idea to me. Perhaps the DOI working group should create a
github pull request?

thanks,
PHilip

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 12:38 AM, Catherine Pequegnat <
Catherine.Pequegnat<at>ujf-grenoble.fr> wrote:

Good morning,

The working group DOI for FDSN network has recommended the mention of the
PID in stationXML
cf www.fdsn.org/wgIII/V1.0-21Jul2014-DOIFDSN.pdf
(p12)

Could this extension be part of the next stationXML release ?

Best regards,
Catherine Péquegnat



On 07/14/2015 02:22 AM, Chad Trabant wrote:


Hello WG-II,

As requested at the 2015 working group meeting, below are StationXML
changes proposed by the IRIS DMC.

If approved by the WG, the DMC will prepare a modified schema for
technical review through a pull request on Github.

regards,
Chad
IRIS DMC


Proposed StationXML changes from the IRIS DMC:

1) Allow the Station::CreationDate element to be optional.
Rationale: This value denotes when a station/site was originally
installed and is distinct from the startDate attribute used to note the
station epoch start. There is no need for it to be required, it cannot be
retained in conversions and many data centers do not have this information
forcing them to set it to, e.g., the startDate.

2) Use xs:double type instead of xs:decimal type for
ApproximationLowerBound, ApproximationUpperBound and MaximumError values
(in PolynomialType::ApproximationType).
Rationale: For consistency, xs:double is used for most other floating
point values in the schema. Also xs:double allows values in scientific
notation.

3) Allow the startDate attribute of Network, Station and Channel elements
to be optional.
Rationale: The startDate for Network is not commonly known or contained
in SEED, forcing the insertion of potentially bad dates.

4) Replace usage of SampleRateType with FrequencyType.
Rationale: The two Types are effectively the same except units described
as HERTZ versus SAMPLES/S and therefore redundant. If the replacement is
not desired, the DecimationType::InputSampleRate should be changed to
SampleRateType for consistency.

5) Include data availability elements described in the
fdsn-station+availability-1.0.xsd extension schema as optional elements of
the main schema.
Rationale: There is very little down side to integrating this extension
with the main schema, maintaining and using it as a separate schema is more
difficult and there are other time series date attributes (e.g.
restrictedStatus) already in the schema.

6) Allow the Channel::Response::Stage::StageGain element to be optional.
Rationale: For some channels, e.g. SOH, there is no reasonable stage
gain. The current required status might lead to bad values included in
metadata.


_______________________________________________
fdsn-wg2-data mailing list
fdsn-wg2-data<at>iris.washington.edu
http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/fdsn-wg2-data



--
Institut des Sciences de la Terre (ISTerre)

Adresse postale: BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Adresse géographique: Maison de Géosciences, 1381 rue de la piscine,
Domaine Universitaire, 38400 St Martin d'Hères

Tél: +33 (0)4 76 63 52 48
Fax: +33 (0)4 76 63 52 52


_______________________________________________
fdsn-wg2-data mailing list
fdsn-wg2-data<at>iris.washington.edu
http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/fdsn-wg2-data


  • Chad Trabant
    July 20, 2015, 9:08 a.m.

    Hi Catherine and Philip,

    The DOI addition to StationXML is, by my count, the only addition approved by the working group yet for the 1.1 release. I would expect it to be in 1.1. Regarding a pull request, I will create that on behalf of the DOI group, their proposal came before the current procedure was established. The proposal has evolved slightly from it's original proposed form, reviewer's should pay close attention to the form it takes in the modified schema during technical review.

    The process of when to take all the change proposals and decide what goes into 1.1 is yet unclear, my hope is that there would be a defined period within which 1.1 features could be proposed and then a target date for feature and technical review to be completed.

    Chad

    On Jul 20, 2015, at 8:52 AM, Philip Crotwell <crotwell<at>seis.sc.edu> wrote:



    ...new subject line to keep separate proposals separate...

    Hi

    Seems like a good idea to me. Perhaps the DOI working group should create a github pull request?

    thanks,
    PHilip

    On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 12:38 AM, Catherine Pequegnat <Catherine.Pequegnat<at>ujf-grenoble.fr <Catherine.Pequegnat<at>ujf-grenoble.fr>> wrote:
    Good morning,

    The working group DOI for FDSN network has recommended the mention of the PID in stationXML
    cf www.fdsn.org/wgIII/V1.0-21Jul2014-DOIFDSN.pdf <http://www.fdsn.org/wgIII/V1.0-21Jul2014-DOIFDSN.pdf
    (p12)

    Could this extension be part of the next stationXML release ?

    Best regards,
    Catherine Péquegnat



    On 07/14/2015 02:22 AM, Chad Trabant wrote:

    Hello WG-II,

    As requested at the 2015 working group meeting, below are StationXML changes proposed by the IRIS DMC.

    If approved by the WG, the DMC will prepare a modified schema for technical review through a pull request on Github.

    regards,
    Chad
    IRIS DMC


    Proposed StationXML changes from the IRIS DMC:

    1) Allow the Station::CreationDate element to be optional.
    Rationale: This value denotes when a station/site was originally installed and is distinct from the startDate attribute used to note the station epoch start. There is no need for it to be required, it cannot be retained in conversions and many data centers do not have this information forcing them to set it to, e.g., the startDate.

    2) Use xs:double type instead of xs:decimal type for ApproximationLowerBound, ApproximationUpperBound and MaximumError values (in PolynomialType::ApproximationType).
    Rationale: For consistency, xs:double is used for most other floating point values in the schema. Also xs:double allows values in scientific notation.

    3) Allow the startDate attribute of Network, Station and Channel elements to be optional.
    Rationale: The startDate for Network is not commonly known or contained in SEED, forcing the insertion of potentially bad dates.

    4) Replace usage of SampleRateType with FrequencyType.
    Rationale: The two Types are effectively the same except units described as HERTZ versus SAMPLES/S and therefore redundant. If the replacement is not desired, the DecimationType::InputSampleRate should be changed to SampleRateType for consistency.

    5) Include data availability elements described in the fdsn-station+availability-1.0.xsd extension schema as optional elements of the main schema.
    Rationale: There is very little down side to integrating this extension with the main schema, maintaining and using it as a separate schema is more difficult and there are other time series date attributes (e.g. restrictedStatus) already in the schema.

    6) Allow the Channel::Response::Stage::StageGain element to be optional.
    Rationale: For some channels, e.g. SOH, there is no reasonable stage gain. The current required status might lead to bad values included in metadata.


    _______________________________________________
    fdsn-wg2-data mailing list
    fdsn-wg2-data<at>iris.washington.edu <fdsn-wg2-data<at>iris.washington.edu>
    http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/fdsn-wg2-data



    --
    Institut des Sciences de la Terre (ISTerre)

    Adresse postale: BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
    Adresse géographique: Maison de Géosciences, 1381 rue de la piscine,
    Domaine Universitaire, 38400 St Martin d'Hères

    Tél: +33 (0)4 76 63 52 48 <tel:%2B33%20%280%294%2076%2063%2052%2048>
    Fax: +33 (0)4 76 63 52 52 <tel:%2B33%20%280%294%2076%2063%2052%2052>


    _______________________________________________
    fdsn-wg2-data mailing list
    fdsn-wg2-data<at>iris.washington.edu <fdsn-wg2-data<at>iris.washington.edu>
    http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/fdsn-wg2-data

    _______________________________________________
    fdsn-wg2-data mailing list
    fdsn-wg2-data<at>iris.washington.edu
    http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/fdsn-wg2-data